Uses of Aloe Vera
Posted by Dr.GBH on April 3rd, 2012
Image Source: Arjit Gupta
Aloe Vera is a small plant grows to about 1-2 feet with succulent long leaves. It is seen in all parts of India said to have originated from northern Africa. It is seen near rivers, tanks and in waste lands. It can be grown in sandy loams and in semi arid areas. The plant can be cultivated with small seedlings that develop from the main plant. It can be cultivated in homes in flower pots or in the back yard easily. It requires little irrigation only however it cannot withstand direct light. The plant is also called as Burnt plant, Lily of the desert and its technical name is Aloe vera, Aloe barbadensis. The plant has several medicinal properties and used in Ayurvedic and in herbal medicines in several countries. At present Aloe vera is widely used in cosmetic preparations in several countries more than the medicinal purposes. The leaves of the plant are thick and succulent. Inside of the leaves contain a gel like material which is mostly used.
Uses of Aloe vera
- Aloe vera is widely used in the preparation of medicines for improving general health, as rejuvenator and in cosmetology.
- Aloe vera has got soothing, moisturizing and healing properties
- A small quantity of the gel obtained from the leaves if taken with sugar internally gives a cooling effect to the body. The gel can be made into juice and mixed with sugar.
- The gel after heating and if tied on the inflammatory swellings relief can be obtained
- For breast pains mix Aloe Vera juice and a pinch of turmeric powder and apply on the breast. It gives relief.
- Aloe vera is effective in treating liver, spleen and pancreatic problems.
- Aloe vera gel along with Vaseline can be used as face pack for smoothness of the skin and cure for the pimples (Acne).
- Aloe Vera is effective in curing burnt wounds. It aids in quick healing of the burns.
- Aloe Vera has got laxative properties. Hence regular use controls constipation.
- It has a place in weight reduction regimes. Aloe Vera therefore used for reduction of weight.
- Aloe Vera has got antibacterial and antifungal properties. Hence it can be used to treat all types of skin problems.
- It is reported that aloe vera is useful in treating Genital Herpes.
- Aloe vera is used in several preparations after making into powder called as Musambaram.
- However it should be noted many of its medicinal values authenticated reports for its cure are not available. Hence while using Aloe Vera internally expert guidance should be taken regarding the dosage schedule and the method of its use.